2018 Year in Review
January 8, 2019 | News
I would like to take this opportunity to
acknowledge your contribution, as we work together to provide healthy and safe
workplaces for the 28,000 continuing care workers across BC.
The coming year is an exciting one for SafeCare BC, as we celebrate our fifth anniversary. But before we look ahead, let’s pause and reflect on the past year.
- Injury rates for long-term care
members continued a declining trend. Injury rates in home care and
community health, too, showed a small decline over the previous year. And
while the number of injuries across both sectors is still too high, there
is some positive progress. Take a look at our injury trends infographic
for long-term care
and home care and
community health support.
- We launched the Tailored Outreach
Program with 15 organizations participating. Safety report cards, gap
analyses, and the development of action plans are
giving these organizations a road map to enhance their workplace health
and safety program and reduce workplace injuries. We are currently
recruiting a new cohort of organizations to participate in this
- We partnered with Menno Place
(Abbotsford) and Arrowsmith Lodge (Parksville) to open two
SafeCare BC Satellite Training Centres. This is expanding our capacity to
provide training and educational opportunities for our members across the
- We played a supporting role in
the organization of the two Hearts and Hands conferences for health care
assistants, held in Victoria and Penticton, with 245 participants. This
year, SafeCare BC has assumed responsibility for organizing the Hearts and
Hands conferences and we will soon announce conference locations and the
- We received a record number of submissions for SafeCare BC’s Safety Den, which has become one of the must-attend events at the BC Care Providers Association’ annual conference. Revera’s winning “luggage tag” submission last year has garnered interest from other organizations who are interested in adopting the idea. Stay tuned for details on how you can submit your idea to this year’s Safety Den.
These are just a handful of the achievements from last year. Take a look at our 2018 Year in Review infographic for some more highlights.
I am proud that over the past five years SafeCare BC has been responsive to the needs of our members, and it’s something we look forward to continuing.
Jen Lyle, CEO