March 31 COVID-19 Update
In today’s update on COVID-19, Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry and Minister of Health Adrian Dix provided the following information:
- There have been 43 new cases in BC, for a total of 1,013.
- 507 people — 50% — have made a complete recovery.
- 128 individuals have been hospitalized, with 61 in intensive care.
- Sadly, 5 more people have died. The total number of deaths is now 24.
- 19 long-term care homes and assisted living residences have reported at least one case of COVID-19
- Henry notes that this number is reflective of the very low threshold for declaring an outbreak. Outbreak measures are put into place early so others are not affected.
- The vast majority of these care homes and residences have reported only a single case.
- Lynn Valley and Haro Park are the only large outbreaks.
- Adrian Dix provided an update on equipment, saying 30 ventilators have arrived, and 53 have been refurbished. In total, there are now 83 additional ventilators.