2021 injury trends – home and community health support
September 27, 2022 | News
The 2021 injury rate for SafeCare BC’s home support members was 3.7 and remained relatively consistent with the previous year’s rate. For the second year in a row, our members outperformed the sector overall. This is good news. However, the number of injury claims increased 50% and the cost of injury claims for the sector, which is a driver of WorkSafeBC premiums, increased 23% to $5.3 million.
While the cost to treat claims is largely out of your control, you have a lot of control over workplace health and safety and preventing injuries from happening. What can you do?
- Have a robust return-to-work program
- Provide health and safety education
- Have frequent safety huddles with your teams
- Meet often with your safety committee or worker representative
- Make health and safety a regular topic of discussion with staff and leadership.
- Join our Tailored Outreach Program
Having an intentional focus on health and safety may seem daunting, but we are here to support you. We can walk you through WorkSafeBC’s Employer Health and Safety Planning Tool Kit, so you can understand your data. We can also provide one-on-one support.
When your injury claims are lower than the sector average, you’ll receive a discount on your WorkSafeBC premiums. Safe and healthy workplaces is something we should all strive for.Home and community health support injury trends 2021 (25 downloads)