Q: How do I know if I'm a SafeCare BC member?

A: SafeCare BC members are made up of non-profit, denominational health, and for-profit organizations.

If you are employed by a long-term care home or home support agency in BC, and you are not a health authority employee, you are automatically a member. Another way you can tell is if your organization has the WorkSafeBC Classification Unit number 766011 or 766006 – if so, then you’re automatically a SafeCare BC member. Organizations owned or operated by the health authorities are not SafeCare BC members.

If you are not registered under either of these classification units, but want to take advantage of our programs, services, and resources, including member-pricing for education and training, you can apply to become a SafeCare BC Associate Member.

Not sure if you’re a member? Contact programscoordinator@safecarebc.ca or 1-604-630-5572 (ext. 242). Have your organization’s name and organization’s address ready, and we can look it up for you.

Q: What is a 'Classification Unit'? As an employer, how do I know what unit my organization belongs to?

A: Classification Unit is defined by WorkSafeBC. It groups employers in similar industries with similar injury risk levels together to facilitate fair and equitable assessment rates.

The Classification Unit 766011 groups together long-term care facilities, homes for the physically challenged, and multi-level care facilities together (among others).

The Classification Unit 766006 includes organizations that provide home care, community care, and home support.

As an employer, your WorkSafeBC-provided documentation will identify what Classification Unit you belong to.

Q: Do I have to pay to belong to SafeCare BC?

A: If you are an employee working in long-term care, community care, or home care and support, with the exception of health authority owned and operated sites, you automatically have access to SafeCare BC’s programs, services and resources.

These employers pay a levy to support SafeCare BC’s activities.

If you are not classified as a long-term care, community care, or home care and support employer you can apply to become a member and pay an annual membership fee to access SafeCare BC’s programs, services and resources.

Q: I was injured on the job, who do I contact?

A: If you are injured at work, or have symptoms of a work related illness you must follow the steps provided by WorkSafeBC, beginning with reporting the injury or illness to your employer immediately.  Please click here for the WorkSafeBC procedures for starting a claim.

Q: Are home care employees members of SafeCare BC?

A: Yes, home care and home support employees joined SafeCare BC in 2017. We continue to expand our resources and training for home care and home support workers.

Q: How do I find SafeCare BC's office and satellite centres?

A: Click here for directions to SafeCare BC and its satellite training centres.