- This event has passed.
Postponed: Occupational Health and Safety Workshop: Part 1
May 14 @ 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
This introductory or ‘fundamentals’ Occupational Health and Safety course will introduce new committee members to the basic principles of workplace health and safety.
This course also serves as a great ‘Back to Basics’ course for those OH&S Committee members who desire refresher training.
In this course participants will:
- Learn the legal responsibilities, duties and functions of the Joint OH&S Committee and Worker Representatives
- Learn about health and safety legislation (Provincial & Federal), workplace parties’ rights & responsibilities including the Right to Refuse unsafe work.
- Indicate key elements of having an effective committee and the process of evaluation.
- Identify the legal requirements of workplace Inspections and Investigations.
- Understand how to conduct effective workplace inspections. Learn about the principles of workplace assessment and control strategies.
Note: This course meets the (Provincial) mandatory minimum training requirements effective April 2017 for new joint committee members
OHSR 3.27 Minimum training requirements for new joint committee members or worker health and safety representatives (2)
The employer must ensure that each member of the employer’s joint committees who was selected on or after June 1, 2017, to be a member receives, as soon as practicable but no more than 6 months after becoming a member, a total of at least 8 hours of instruction and training, as set out in subsection (4).
(6) Subsection (2) does not apply in respect of a person who is a member of a joint committee if (a) 2 years or less before becoming a member of the joint committee, the person was a member of that joint committee or a different joint committee, and (b) the person received at least 8 hours of instruction and training on the topics described in subsection (4).
(10) For greater certainty, the instruction and training required under subsection (2) or (3) of this regulation is not educational leave as set out in section 135 of the Workers Compensation Act. Audience: OH&S Committee Members, Managers and Worker Representatives.
Audience: OH&S Committee Members, Managers and Worker Representatives.