The Hamlets Fit Test Operation
May 31, 2021 | Infection Prevention and Control
At the Hamlets there was an issue identified where the relative Health Authorities cohorted N95 material (Specifically 3M product). This is still the case today. We decided as an organization to complete internal training, develop our own train-the-trainer program, purchase fit testing kits and purchase off brand N95 products and test them as they become available.
Once the program was developed, we trained 3 persons at every site in BC and Alberta who could provide fit testing for staff to:
1) Create a baseline group of staff in the event of an outbreak
2) Create a knowledge base at site around the requirement as well as why we do this
What workplace hazard does this idea address?
Infection Prevention and Control
If other, please specify:
How does your idea improve workplace health and safety?
Organizations will have an emergency stock of supply incase of an outbreak, and have the knowledge to use them properly.
How did you implement this idea?
The program was accomplished by:
1) Having the Regional Educator and RN take the FHA Fit Testing Course.
2) Reaching out to WorkSafeBC to inquire around developing our own Fit Test Train-the-Trainer TTT
3) Reaching out to Fraser Health for permission to utilize their content as a baseline for our own program development
What has been the impact on workplace health and safety?
The Hamlets now fit tests N95 products as they become available from 3rd party vendors and benchmark the product. We have noticed the FIT test pass rate is very poor compared to 3M product.
We stock a basal supply of different options at each site with a goal of getting through 24-48 hours of our internal stock in an outbreak while we wait on relative health authority resources.
We are looking to digitize our course for our Surge learning program.
What was the initial set up cost?
Cost of PPE
What are the on-going costs?
Cost of PPE restock
Other staffing resources required:
Email Chris Browning at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in learning how to set up something similar at your organization.